The Yogendra System is a step-by-step program for improving health of the body and mind. It consists of a simple set of daily practices to help deal with stress, increase vitality, impart a sense of calm and improve breathing, concentration and overall fitness. Developed from classical Yoga and adapted for today, the Yogendra System has been practised in Australia for over 35 years.
The Yogendra System is based on the work of the late Shri Yogendra, who early last century scientifically researched and evaluated the therapeutic benefits of traditional Yoga techniques. His son Vijayadev designed this course using his experience of over 35 years teaching and understanding the needs and capacities of modern Western people. He modified the classical techniques to make them accessible and suitable for practice by people living in today’s demanding times. Practising these techniques gives people a buffer so they are less vulnerable to stress.
The course progressively introduces a routine of psychophysical techniques which comprise:
- Breathing routines to increase the breathing capacity, improve vitality, strengthen the immune function, correct faulty breathing habits and settle the nervous system.
- Gentle physical exercises combined with breathing rhythms. These practices improve the flexibility and health of the spine optimising the flow of the nervous impulses from the brain to various organs and systems of the body.
- A relaxation technique to release physical tension and help overcome fatigue. Practised well, in a matter of twenty minutes the benefits of two or three hour’s rest can be gained.
- Practices to quieten and concentrate the mind. Stress and anxiety can be overcome and mental focus improved. The techniques can help prevent the development of stress related illness.
- Approaches to personal development to promote self-esteem, a greater sense of personal control, a positive outlook on life and the capacity to manage the stresses of everyday life with confidence and dignity.
People who have completed the program report:
- More energy to deal with the pressures and challenges of work and home without feeling worn out at the end of the day.
- Improved immune function and less proneness to colds, flu and chronic health problems.
- Improved concentration.
- Greater emotional and mental control, and self-understanding.
- An ability to make decisions with less personal wear and tear.
- A sense of inner confidence
- An overall feeling of physical and emotional well-being
- Improved sleep.
The program consists of six one hour sessions normally conducted once per week. The program can be modified to accommodate particular needs and health conditions. Day and evening classes are available.
Class sizes are restricted to ensure the highest quality of personal care and attention.. Private sessions may also be arranged by appointment. Series 2 and other ongoing courses are also available.
Weekend retreats and classes for children are offered from time to time.
All Yogendra System courses are taught by qualified teachers having trained with the System’s founder for a minimum of ten years.
The cost for the Series 1 course is $120, which includes tuition and course materials. The concession rate for the unemployed and pension card holders is $80.